I honestly never really bought into the idea of using Twitter until recently. While I was attending events I would always hear the sponsors saying “tweet at us” but that never really made me want to join another social network. This weekend changed how I thought about it.
It’s cool for companies, but why do I care? That was my main question before this weekend.
“Facebook is for friends, Instagram is for posting photos of your life, LinkedIn is for resumes and professional connections, but Twitter is a social space for professionals”.
I paraphrased what a work friend said, but the message still rings true.
- Twitter is becoming the social space for people and companies with similar interests to interact with each other and grow off those ideas.
- It’s a fast paced social interaction with more and more companies responding faster to customers and developers through Twitter than email.
- Twitter can even help you gain that connection through email or phone if you don’t have one already!
- It could help propel your reputation in the particular space you are working in. (for me that would be Internet of Things)
- It allows you to track trends that you might be interested in with hashtags.
- The 140 character limit helps you learn to be succinct
Why do companies care? Companies are using Twitter to gauge the publicity of certain ads or campaigns as well as how engaged their audiences are with their products. This works really well for startups trying to create publicity around themselves and their products because of how social and easily re-tweetable conversations are.
- Since it can be used as a professional social space and everything on the internet sticks, I would suggest not posting your every thought. No one cares that you made a really good sandwich (unless you’re a chef trying to promote yourself) and you don’t want to hurt your reputation with unprofessional tweets about last night.
- Follow companies and people that are doing things that you are interested in.
- Stay active and retweet interesting conversations and post some of your own!