TL;DR – The DJI Phantom 4 is the better drone by far. The only case in which you should buy the 3DR Solo is if you are able to get it during its $600 sales (Drone + Gimbal), already own a GoPro, and are willing to use the lesser product.
Pros of the Phantom 4
- Better Battery Life
- Better video from their in-house camera
- More sturdy for travel with the connected legs and rigid camera attachment
- Charger comes as one instead of separate ones for the controller and the drone batteries
- Longer range
- Better design with the controller (Allows for extender to be dropped)
- USB connection instead of WiFi for connecting the controller to your phone or tablet
- Quick connect propellers
- White – turns out it gets less hot on sunny days (who would have figured)
- Can easily be flown without a GPS Lock (The 3DR Solo requires you to turn on Advanced flying and also set one of the dedicated “A” or “B” buttons up for “Manual Flight” which flies it without GPS)
Pros of the 3DR Solo
- Can be made to go faster
- More modular (possible future attachments & Easier to fix or replace components)
- Really cool smart flying capabilities.
- 3DR Solo + Gimbal during their sale and already own a GoPro 4 Black – $600
- 3DR Solo + Gimbal and already own a GoPro 4 Black – $1000
- 3DR Solo + Gimbal and GoPro 4 Black – $1500
- DJI Phantom 4 – $1399
- DJI Phantom 4 w/ 2 extra batteries – $1599
Just a little insight into my drone purchase history. I bought both drones. I owned a DJI Phantom 4 first and had an awesome experience with it, but found it to be a bit too pricey for me. Then I saw a deal on the 3DR Solo + gimbal for $600 and I figured I would return the DJI Phantom 4 and get that instead. After obtaining the 3DR Solo, I noticed immediately a couple areas where the DJI was better, but figured I could handle it. But as I continued to fly it, the cons started adding up a bit too much and so I returned it. I am planning on obtaining a DJI Phantom 4 again in the future.